Reply to comment
Harry Eddy Barnhart D.D.S., built the first car in Warren, Pa. in 1897. He was the son of Franklin Klinefelter Barnhart and Mary Elizabeth Eddy. He was a graduate of the University of Buffalo School of Dentistry in 1897 and he married Lida Catherine Betts, who's brother was one of the founders of Betts Machine Shop.
He built the car in the garage of his wife's parents on Pine Street in Warren. Many of the local blacksmiths made the parts for him. He was asked to limit the use of it as it made so much noise it scared the horses. Among the vital statistics noted on the back of the photograph: weight 800 lbs. loaded (with gasoline & water); tank capacities for gas and water, both 10 gallons; engine (two speeds ahead and one in reverse) capable of generating eight horsepower. The car had no brakes so the first time he took it uptown he had to run into the livery stable to stop.
Submitted by Judith Barnhart Wilson, granddaughter