Reply to comment
Coal miner on left is thought to be Charles Mountain (called "Old Mountain" in John R. Hampson's diaries) and John R. Hampson, owner/manager of Cortez Coal Co. is on the right. The Incline plane is behind them.
Cortez Coal Company in Cortez, which was located on old Rt. 236 (Knoxdale Rd.) between Anita and Knoxdale.
Photo taken abt 1910-1920.
The Hampson family operated the Cortez Coal Company and built the tipple that crossed the road from one side of the valley to the other. Remnants of the stone abutments are still visible.
The mine was in operation from 1901 until about 1930.
The property is still proudly owned by Hampson family descendants.
Submitted by Marianne Fisher, great great granddaughter of the original owner of the Cortez Coal Company