Reply to comment
Cortez Coal Company in Cortez, which was located on old Rt. 236 (Knoxdale Rd.) between Anita and Knoxdale.
Two unknown miners at the top of the plane (entrance to amine opening) which is the shed like structure behind them. The mule was tethered to small coal cars known as dinkies.
The remains of two dinkie cars were recently unearthed during excavations in May 2003 at the old Hampson Farm which was known as "HillCrest" in the 1900s.
Photo taken abt 1910-1920.
Submitted by Marianne Fisher, great great granddaughter of the original owner of the Cortez Coal Company