Reply to comment
This photograph shows the unveiling ceremony for the Sandusky County Soldiers' Monument in Fremont, Ohio, on August 1, 1885. The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.40 cm). In October 1882, voters of Sandusky County approved a tax to raise money for a soldiers' monument. After voter approval the Sandusky County Soldiers' Monumental Association was formed. The association awarded the contract for creating the memorial to the New England Granite Works of Hartford, Connecticut. Located in Fort Stephenson Park, the monument was completed in July 1885 for a total cost of $7,000. It is constructed of Quincy granite. The statue of a soldier at parade is made of blue Westerly granite. The entire structure stands 44 feet and 3 inches high (13.48 meters).