Reply to comment
Below is the caption and history of Ashley School from the 1937-1938 school yearbook:
Way back in 1828 our first school building was built on the property later owned by Mrs. Price. In 1840 another building was erected on the Gavitt property. the population of our fair town increased so rapidly that in 1850 two new buildings were erected, one on each side of the railroad. Then in 1878 a brick building was built on the present school site, and in 1901 an addition was built to it. In the year 1903 the school received the charter that made it a first grade school, and in 1917 it was made a centralized school district. In 1918 the new building was erected and in 1926 the first portable was erected, west of the building. About the same time the Ohio Wesleyan student teacher's training system began. In 1930 the second portable was added on the east side of the building. the class of '29 presented the new athletic field which was dedicated in 1931. In 1932 the senior class presented the trophy case. Now in 1937, after a long struggle, Ashley has been fortunate in receiving the grant for a new addition of rooms and a new auditorium.