Fremont Green Sox baseball team
This photograph shows the Fremont Green Sox baseball team when they were the Ohio State League Champions in 1938. The Ohio State League was part of the Class D circuit, which operated from 1936 to 1942. Although the players were not always the most skilled and fights frequently erupted between opposing teams, the league provided inexpensive entertainment during the Great Depression. The Fremont team was originally called the Reds (1936-1937), after their affiliation with the Cincinnati Reds. As an independent club from 1938 to 1941 they were known as the Green Sox. They won league championships in 1938 and 1941.