Red Cross nurses' parade held in Fremont, Ohio
Red Cross nurses' parade held in Fremont, Ohio, on May 19, 1918. The parade kicked off the Red Cross fund drive in Sandusky County. The county's quota was $41,000. Organizers of the parade set a goal to have at least 5,000 female Red Cross workers march. All women and girls in the parade wore the white Red Cross uniform and headdress. The only men at the event were scheduled to speak at the parade's conclusion and were members of the marching bands. Parade units included Red Cross auxiliaries from 12 Sandusky County communities and Fremont, a Red Cross float, automobiles, and three Junior Red Cross chapters, a service section in which flags of the branches of service were carried--each flag representing a Sandusky County citizen serving in the armed forces. The parade, which stretched for three city blocks, stopped on West State Street for a formal photograph. Miss Fern Plagman, who portrayed Joan of Arc, led the parade wearing a suit of armor and rode a spirited gray horse. The Red Cross ambulance, a white wagon pulled by two horses, carried some of the nurses during the parade. Thousands of men, women, and children lined the parade route and cheered in support of the women of the Red Cross. Spectators stood about 45 minutes to see the entire parade pass.