Pigeon Creek Dunkard Church and Cemetery, Washington Co., PA
Pigeon Creek Dunkard Church and Cemetery (also known as the Leatherman Cemetery) in North Bethlehem Township, Washington Co., PA
The Pigeon Creek Dunkard Church was erected by 1858 in what is now North Bethlehem Township, Washington Co., PA. The church, a 40 foot by 60 foot frame structure, was built by the members of the Ten Mile Dunkard Church in West Bethlehem Township to accommodate its Brethren members living north of the National Pike (now Highway 40) as indicated by an entry on page 12 of their minute book, made prior to 1850 but exact date unknown: "The church decides that a tax shall be laid on all the members of the church, in proportion to each one's valuation, sufficient to cancel the acreage on the Pigeon Creek Meeting House, D. Lane, J. G. Grable, and S. Moore appointed to attend to this business." The church building was torn down many years ago, but its cemetery, now known as the Leatherman Cemetery, is still accessible.
To locate the site of the Pigeon Creek Dunkard Church Cemetery (Leatherman Cemetery), go east on Highway 40 out of Washington, Pennsylvania . . . go past the Lone Pine crossroad (Highway 519) for exactly 0.95 mile . . . turn left (north) off of Highway 40 and then "jog" right (on the old highway) . . . turn left (north) at the first road which is Highway 62155 . . . go for 1.1 miles north on Highway 62155. The cemetery is located on the right side of the road, but it will be necessary to climb up the steep embankment to see the gravestones that are located at the back of the lot.