New Salem Elementary School and Evangelical Assoc Church
New Salem School (one-room) taken sometime between 1852 and 1918, during the winter. The Church was the first one in New Salem, called the Pittsburgh Conference of the Evangelical Association Church.
Neither building is standing any longer; the school was torn down in 1918, and a new two-room school was built. The church was torn down in the 1940s. The barn that can be seen on the right burned, and the house behind it, later became the E. U. B. and later U. M. Parsonage for the new church built on out the road from this one up on the bank.
Submitted by Clarence R. Shirey, who attended grades 1-6 at the New Salem Elementary School. Permission granted for use on this site only. Photograph reproduced in New Salem Elementary School – Photograph Memories, 1997