Simon Jonas and Roseanna Haas Shiry
Simon Jonas Shiry (1827–1910) and Roseanna Haas Shiry (1834-1902) of Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co. PA.
Simon Jonas Shiry, was born 20 Sept 1827, in Redbank Twp., Armstrong County, PA. at the home of his parents, John Shiry, Sr. & Mary Shaffer Shiry, located along present Rte. 536, near Mayport, PA. He died 8 Dec 1910, at his residence in Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co., PA, located along present SR #1017, near New Salem, PA.
His wife, Roseanna Haas, was born 31 Aug 1834, near Ringgold, PA. daughter of David Haas and Catharine Himes Haas. She died 23 Jan 1902, at her residence in Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co., PA near New Salem, PA.
Both were buried in the present United Methodist Church Cemetery, North Freedom, PA. where most of the Shiry/ Shireys are buried.
Their home was built in 1837, and is still standing. It has been remodeled completely, and is owned by a great-great granddaughter of theirs and her husband. An addition has been built onto the home by the present owners.
The original photo is an old charcoal drawing.
Simon J. Shiry and Roseanna Haas Shiry family - all born in Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co., PA. near the village of New Salem, on the family farm.
1. David Franklin, born 17 Dec 1852, died 5 December 1901, in Timblin, PA. His wife, Rebecca Umberhocker was born 17 Apr 1858 or 1859, died 11 Dec 1934, in Timblin, PA. David was a stone mason and died from consumption. Both are buried in the Timblin Cemetery. She remarried John H. Brocious. Rebecca was the daughter of Francis and Susannah Powell Umberhocker.
2. Mary Elizabeth, born 14 Oct 1854, died 6 Sept 1921, in North Freedom, Armstrong County, and married George Doverspike, born 26 Aug 1842, near Oak Ridge, PA. He died 26 Sept. 1920, in North Freedom, and was a Civil War Veteran of Co. B, 78th Regiment. PA Vol. Both are buried at North Freedom United Methodist Cemetery. George was the son of George and Elisabeth Doverspike.
3. John Arthur, b. 6 Aug 1856, died 21 Feb 1937, in Timblin, Jefferson Co., PA. married Lavina Shaffer b. 5 Sept 1852, in Jefferson Co., PA. She died in 1935. Both are buried in Timblin Cemetery. Lavina was the daughter of Abraham Shaffer.
4. William Milton, born 1 Oct 1857, died 26 Jul 1921, in Armstrong Co., PA. He married Anne Laura Shick, b. 15 Feb 1868, in Armstrong Co., PA. She died 16 Sept 1965, in the Brookville Hospital, Brookville, PA. She'd had one leg amputated prior to her death. She was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Dinger Shick. The Shirys are buried in North Freedom U. M. Cemetery.
5. Ellen Cathrine, b. 24 Aug 1860, died 28 Apr 1943, in New Salem, PA. She married John Wesley Shick, born 15 Aug 1860, in Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co., PA. He died at his home in New Salem, PA. on 27 Oct 1938. Their home was right beside the present U. M. Church where they lie buried. They moved there upon their retirement, but she'd gotten the Shiry homestead for taking care of her parents. John was the son of David and Caroline Himes Shick.
6. Solomon Albert, b. 14 Apr 1863, Armstrong Co., Pa. died 27 Oct 1952, in Shattuck Memorial Hospital in Okla. He was one of the first homesteaders when Okla. was opened for settlement. He married Effie Alta Sharp, b. 27 Mar 1864, Pulaski, Iowa, she died 20 Oct 1948, in Arnett, Okla. Solomon taught Penmanship in Business College, and also was a farmer. Effie was the daughter of Joel H. and Ann Berkie Plank Sharp. The Shirys are buried in DeBolt Cemetery, near Arnett, Okla.
7. Eliza Ann Shiry, b. 18 June 1865, She died 10 May 1923, in Redbank Twp. Armstrong Co. She married first to George Washington Dinger, born 27 Feb 1864 in Armstrong Co., PA. He died 23 Dec 1916, in Redbank twp., Armstrong Co., PA. She remarried John H. Dobson, b. 13 Jan 1854. George Dinger is the son of Michael and Polly Diebler Dinger. The Dingers are also buried in North Freedom U. M. Cemetery. Her death is not on the gravestone.
8. Charles Monroe Shiry, b. 13 Dec 1867, died 16 Jun 1952, in Adrian Hospital, Punxsutawney, PA. He'd fallen and broken a hip and went into shock. He'd married Salina Esther Mohney, born 25 Dec 1869, near Sugar Valley, PA. She died 24 Mar 1965, aged 95 years at Inman's Conval. Home, Brookville, PA. Both are buried in North Freedom, U. M. Cemetery.
9. Calvin Shiry, b. 2 June 1870, died 17 May 1899. Calvin suffered from sugar diabetes and died at a very young age on 17 May 1899, at his home. He worked in lumbering, and also was quite active in Church work. He's buried North Freedom beside his parents. View photo of Calvin Shiry
10. Sadie Jane Shiry, b. 25 May 1873, d. 2 Jul 1910. She'd married Charles Wesley Copenhaver born 24 May 1867 or 1869, near New Salem, PA. died 22 Dec 1946, from cancer of prostrate in New Florence, PA. He was the son of Samuel and Margaret (Miller) Copenhaver. They are buried also in North Freedom.
11. Jesse Barnhard, b. 4 Feb 1876, died 27 May 1955, Adrian Hospital, Punxsutawney, PA. He married Nettie Nuter Shick, b. 17 Feb. 1876, in Sugar Valley, PA. She died 12 Feb 1955, in the Brookville Hospital. She'd fallen and broken her back. Nettie was the illegitimate daughter of Ellen Shick.
Submitted by Clarence R. Shirey, great grandson. Permission granted for use on this site only. Reproduced in Parentage & Descendants of John Shiry, Sr. & Mary 'Polly’ (Shaffer) of Redbank Twp., Armstrong Co., PA., 1974